|Featured Article |
This article was the Featured Article of the Month, meaning it is one of the best articles on the wiki and the subject of this article won the award(s) of Best Featured Article of 2015 at the Mixels Wiki Fans' Choice Awards 2015!
Mixels are a type of species and the titular protagonists in the Mixels franchise.
Each Mixel is assigned to an element or theme which is divided into tribes, such as ice, electricity, rock, fire, and more. They live all throughout the Mixelverse. Their enemies are the Nixels, dark and uncreative creatures who want to ruin fun and creativity. Certain tribes have an unknown number of Mixels, at least over three or six of them.
Mixels appear to be organic creatures, although the stylization of the show, as well as other aspects of the franchise, appear to imply that Mixels may have robotic skin and other inorganic elements.
Mixels contain a skeletal structure, which is known to consist of legs and skulls. A diagram in Mixopolis General Hospital demonstrates that Mixels contain organs such as hearts. Chilbo and Rokit have visible brains, although the latter appears to be robotic. Mixels have a digestive system with elements such as organic tongues in varying colors, organic teeth and gums that can break and need to be replaced, and buttocks to remove waste. Mixels contain a circulatory system with lungs, evidenced by Orbitopia's oxygen dome, although Mixels have been shown to breathe normally in space. Mixels contain blood and are able to produce saliva. A Mixel can also contract illnesses.
There is evidence to support the notion that Mixels are not fully organic creatures. Mixels appear to have shiny skin, almost like metal, and in the Klinkers' case, have various inorganic elements such as gears in addition to making robotic sounds as they move. Rokit's vision is shown to be akin to that of a targeting system, as shown through a Mix with Burnard. Nurp-Naut briefly mentions blowing "a gasket" to Burnard, although "blowing a gasket" can refer to choking or losing one's temper.
Characteristics and Culture
Mixels are all individually unique and come in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors. Some Mixels resemble animals, some have varying amounts of eyes, and others are completely unique creatures. Mixels have varying powers depending on their tribes, such as Electroids being able to shock themselves or others. Mixels often Mix, Max, or Murp to combine their powers into one. Mixels have varying intelligence, with some individual Mixels or tribes being primitive and animalistic. Mixels require sleep, with Lunk being an example of a particularly tired Mixel.
Mixels are non-binary and individually present and use pronouns as they wish. The majority of known Mixels are male-presenting, although female-presenting Mixels do exist. Mixels are implied to reproduce in some form, as the Glowkies have a law handed down to them, as well as Dribbal mentioning his grandmother. Camillot is also the heir to his father's throne.
Mixels' culture largely revolves around Mixing to solve everyday problems. Various Mixels work jobs with many Mixopolis tribes being based around one, and there appears to be a form of economy with the existence of Mucks as a currency. Mixels have a form of religion with a belief in the Maximum Mixel.
NOTE: An asterisk (*) indicates the leader of the tribe. Two (**) indicates the secondary member. Three (***) indicate the tertiary member.
The main race of Mixels on Planet Mixel.
The Misical Muxels are a band in Calling All Mixels who put on concerts. What they look like, and their names, are unknown.
- They love to combine anything they find in their land and also enjoy gaining new powers.
- The LEGO sets are designed before the artwork, and are also used as reference for the animated models.
- All Mixels have names that are puns of or derived from words that fit their personalities and appearances (such as Flain being a combination of "flame" and "brain", fitting both his smart nature and his fire element).
- The Series 1 and Series 2 tribes' theme elements were opposite counterparts of each other (Infernite's fire and Frosticon's ice, Electroid's electricity and Flexer's rubber, and Cragster's rock and Fang Gang's plant matter).
- Series 4 introduces Mixel tribes not based around elements, with the space-themed Orbitons. Later series would follow these ideas with their own tribe ideas.
- Starting with the Klinkers, most tribes would be based around occupations.
- According to Major Nixel, Mixels are at their weakest when they are on their own.
- The only non-structure features all Mixels share are eyes.
- One of the most common Mixel colors is yellow, as it has been used for four tribes.
- Another extremely common color scheme is grey, brown, and gold, as it has been used for three tribes.
- However, each tribe has minor differences in their main color that distinguishes them from each other. For instance, the Lixers' color scheme of yellow is closer to orange, the Electroids and Mixies each have a brighter shade, and the Weldos have a duller shade of yellow.
- They temporarily turned against each other in A Quest for the Lost Mixamajig because they all wanted the Mixamajig for themselves.
- The average Mixel is about twice the size of a regular LEGO minifigure, which may suggest the relation of size to an actual human. This may be because the Mixel builds are much more complex than the Minifigures, having as many as 74 pieces.
- The Mixels were originally mentioned to grunt for speech, but Mixels seem to speak fluent English, with a few exceptions.
- Most Mixels' hands are based on the "C" shaped hands of LEGO minifigures.
- Nixel, Nixel, Go Away shows multiple of several Mixels, such as Kraw and Krog. It is likely this is an animation error or a lack of available character models for the given scenes.
Behind the Scenes
Name and basis
The word "Mixels" is a play on the word "Mix", as the Mixels Mix to achieve goals.
Mixels began development as LEGO Monsters, Cartoon Network was invited to see this new theme and took interest, LEGO and Cartoon Network began working on a new theme based of LEGO Monsters and created Mixels.
Series 1 was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con International on July 22, 2013, with Flain, Seismo and Volectro. Silhouettes for various other Mixels were also shown off. Both LEGO sets and artwork were shown off.
Series 4 was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con International on July 22, 2014, with Nurp-Naut, Globert and Burnard. Only LEGO sets were shown off.
Series 7 was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con International on July 22, 2015, with Kuffs, Camillot and Jamzy. Only LEGO sets were shown off.
Nine waves of Mixels sets were released throughout 2014 to 2016. Each wave contained nine Mixels and three waves were released in a year.
- Main article: Mixels (creature)/Gallery
Sources and References
- The Mixel Invasion Has Begun! (Archive)
- Scorpi & Torts Mix - Torts is shown to have a broken leg
- Vaudeville Fun - A Gobba & Kraw Mix is seen holding a skull
- Nixel, Nixel, Go Away - A chart depicting Burnard's anatomy is seen
- Nixel, Nixel, Go Away - Tuth removes one of Voltz' teeth
- Hot Lava Shower - Krader's buttocks are seen throughout the episode
- Mixel Moon Madness - Flamzer is shown to breathe normally when Orbitopia's dome is shattered
- Epic Comedy Adventure - Kraw's bloodshot eyes are seen
- A Quest for the Lost Mixamajig - Gurggle refers to his worthiness being "in the blood"
- Glomp's Gooey, Sneezy Cold! - Glomp is shown bed-ridden with a cold
- A Quest for the Lost Mixamajig - All three Klinkers make metallic sounds as they move
- Mixel Moon Madness - The Rokit & Burnard Mix's vision is robotic
- Mixel Moon Madness - Nurp-Naut tells Burnard to slow down eating or he'll "blow a gasket"
- Elevator - Balk's birthday party is celebrated
- Pothole - Zaptor mentions both "young and old" Mixels
- User blog:J.d. Sadler/J.D. On Mixles & Gender
- Mixel Moon Madness - Don't Pull The Plug contains the lyrics "a law was handed down to us"
- A Quest for the Lost Mixamajig - Dribbal claims his grandmother once had an Egg-Rock
- Every Knight Has Its Day - Camillot's family is referenced throughout
- Mixels Rush - Major Nixel tells King Nixel that the weakest Mixel is a lone Mixel