|Debut||Nixel "Mix Over"|
|Last Appearance||A Quest for the Lost Mixamajig|
|Special Features||Three legs|
Spinning on his head
When his eyes explode
|Quote||"You guys are weird. See ya later!"|
|Voice Actor||Billy West|
|Game Abilities||Hammer Time (default)|
Jokester (level 5)
Hyper Headbutt (level 10)
- 1 Description
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Biography
- 4 Memorable Quotes
- 5 Set Information
- 6 Background Information
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the Scenes
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Appearances
- 11 Sources and References
- 12 External links
Balk is the anomaly to the Flexers' intellectual nature. While it is true that he still is pretty smart, he is also very scatterbrained thanks to his abilities not translating to the inside of his head and has a tendency to space out at times probably due to bashing his head a lot. He is the most immature of his tribe, preferring to play rather than show off his smarts.
Balk is mostly orange in color. He has a very squat body with a tall and well-defined jaw. His eyes are on triangular-like stalks that stick out on the sides of his head. They have a black stripe near the base, which also houses four tentacles; two small ones and two longer ones. His upper jaw has three teeth that point downwards, while his lower one has two spaced-out buck teeth that point upwards. He has three bowing orange legs with a grey line at their base. He has angular orange feet with black toes. The back of his head between the connectors of his jaws are black.
His head is like a mallet, which he can use for a strong headbutt. His eyes also have the ability to inflate when aggressive.
Calling All Mixels
- Hammer Time: Hammer the ground, damaging and stunning all enemies in the area.
- Jokester: Tell a joke so bad it stuns every enemy who hears it.
- Hyper Headbutt: Do heavy damage to multiple enemies by slamming your head into them.
Little is known about Balk's early life. However, he managed to hit his head enough times to end up having brain damage in the past.
At a party, he managed to get kidnapped by the Nixels, and had to be rescued to help rescue the other Mixels. ("Calling All Mixels")
He took part in a diving contest and was given a low score by the Nixel judges. ("Gobba & Tentro Mix!")
While preparing to play Slingshot with Lunk, he encountered two Nixels disguised as Mixels and asked if they wanted to join their game, even giving a Cubit to them after he and Lunk Mixed. Jokingly calling the Nixels weird, he went off to play alone, and ended up retrieving the cubit back from Major Nixel. ("Nixel "Mix Over"")
During his birthday party, he had his cake ruined by the Lunk & Tentro Mix crashing through it and received a soggy ribbon from Lunk as a present (which was originally an ice block), disappointing him even further. ("Elevator")
Balk was one of almost all of the Mixels who searched and fought for the Mixamajig, and then captured by King Nixel. He Maxed with his branch of the Flexers in order to defeat him, and Mixopolis was revealed by the Weldos soon after. ("A Quest for the Lost Mixamajig")
- "Meeeeeeeeeeeeee." - Balk, Elevator
- "Hey there, little Mixels! We're gonna play Slingshot! Do you want to join us?" - Balk, Nixel "Mix Over"
|No. of Pieces||68|
The set includes a Nixel.
LEGO Shop product description
Crush intruders with the hammerhead of BALK!
BALK might be the slowest of the Flexers tribe, but this Mixel’s mallet-like head can hit, pummel and crush whatever gets in the way. All that head-butting has bashed BALK’s brain cells, so this hammer-headed Mixel can be forgetful and find it hard to spit out the right words. But there’s no one better to defend the Rubberlands, where the Flexers live, from Nixel invasions.
- Features hammerhead, three legs and poseable joints
- Selected Mixels also feature Nixels inside the pack
- Collect all three Mixels in the Flexers tribe to build the super Mixel tribe combo
- Go to LEGO.com/mixels for exclusive building instructions, animations, wallpapers and much more
- Watch all your favorite Mixel characters on Cartoon Network
- Play the game available for iOS and Android
- Stands over 3” (9cm) tall
Pummel Nixel intruders out of the Rubberlands with BALK, one of three flexible and funny Flexers in LEGO® Mixels™ Series 2.
Balk's in-booklet code for Calling All Mixels is HA8ERHE5AD, which is Hammer-Head when decoded. Once entered, it will unlock 25 Cubits and Hyper Headbutt.
- He represents September to December 2014 in the Mixels: 2015 Wall Calendar.
- He is fourth in line standing on the "Mixels" logo.
- He likes to tap dance, as seen in the "Meet Balk" video. He can also be seen tap dancing in Epic Comedy Adventure.
- He appears to be the least intelligent of the Flexers.
- In his Upset video in Calling All Mixels, his eyes inflated and eventually popped, revealing his eyes can inflate like balloons and explode and that he has sensitive eyes.
- He has a tendency to extend "E"-based sounds (as heard in Elevator when saying "me").
- He is terrible at telling jokes, as seen in Calling All Mixels.
- Balk is one of the skinniest Mixels, having a very thin body overall.
- He is the only Flexer that kept his name from the preliminary sets as his current.
- He is the only Flexer that was referred to by name in the cartoon.
- He has a tendency to randomly move his mouth up and down sometimes, almost like a spring.
- His voice is deeper in various supplementary material, such as the Mixels Websites and Calling All Mixels.
- He was the only Flexer not to be based on a Crustacean or a Cephalopod or a Mollusk until the Background Flexer T-Flex.
- His Lego form has the least amount of pieces for each of his tentacles.
Behind the Scenes
Name and basis
Balk's name is derived from the word "balk", which means "to baffle or confuse", which is something that happens to Balk a lot. It is also possible that his name is derived from "bulk" (thanks to his strength) and "stalk" (thanks to his eyes being on eyestalks).
Balk bears a resemblance to a hammerhead shark. Some people say that his three legs might actually be fins, and his long head is similar to said shark species' head.
Balk was originally going to have flimsier tentacles, smaller pupils, and be much shorter and stockier. He also would have had only one square tooth on his lower jaw, and not two.
Balk debuted in the TV series on June 2, 2014 in Nixel "Mix Over", while his LEGO set officially became available on June 1 with the rest of Series 2.
Balk also appears in the mobile app game Calling All Mixels, released on March 4, 2014 for iOS and April 2, 2014 for Android.
- Main article: Balk/Gallery
Sources and References
- Products page on LEGO.com
- Character page on LEGO.com
- Instructions on LEGO.com
- Flexers Max instructions on LEGO.com
Sproingy Lands (Party Building) / Slingshot / Donuts